Pages

Tuesday, February 02, 2010



I just love the poem HOWL. I found it a few years ago read it for the first time. It is hard to imagine that it was written in the late 50's.

"angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly
connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat
up smoking in the supernatural darkness of
cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities
contemplating jazz, "

I can't say why I am drawn to it, but something about the wild use of language and the raw emotion are just incredibly seductive. Also, the fact that it was written at a time when things were so much less permissive and people didn't talk about getting high and crazy gods.

Sometimes I think we are all burning for an ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo and sitting in the supernatural darkness of life? Well, at least I am.

No comments: